Please visit the website of the Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz (SPK, Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation) for information on vacant positions at both the Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz and the Ibero-American Institute (IAI):
Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz/Jobs and Careers
Training Program for Senior-Level Library Service
The library of the IAI is a German federal government training library for research librarians. Each year the IAI trains one librarian in accordance with the October 25, 2001, regulations governing the professional career, training and examination of librarians destined for senior-level service at research libraries
(regulations in German). The IAI accepts applications between February and May, and librarians are hired on October 1 and awarded temporary civil service status. The two-year program consists of a practical training at the IAI library, several internships in other libraries as well as the consecutive M.A. Programme at Berlin School of Library and Information Science (Humboldt University). The IAI can offer no guarantee that librarians will be hired upon completion of the program.
For further information, please visit the website of the Staatsbibliothek (Berlin State Library).
Prerequisites for the internships are a high level of language competence in German and (for non-EU citizens) a work permit.
The Ibero-American Institute (IAI) offers internships in the following areas:
Combinations are possible for longer internships.
- Required internships: This category of internships is required by the study or apprenticeship regulations during studies or apprenticeship. The area of application or length depends on the respective study or apprenticeship regulations.
- Sponsored internships: Other internships within the frame of a qualification scheme are possible after the positive verification of the necessary requirements through the human resources department.
Voluntary internships and internships for general orientation purposes after graduation or a finalized training qualification are not possible at the IAI.
If you wish to apply for an internship, please get in touch with the person responsible for your area. Your application should include the following documents:
- Cover letter (including a description of your expertise and the work that would interest you most at the IAI)
- Resume (including language and computer skills)
- Indication of the category of which the application refers to. In the case of required internships, please hand in the verification consisting in the study or apprenticeship regulations.