The Ibero-American Institute (IAI) awards ten to twelve scholarships each year to support a one- to two-month research stay in Berlin. The scholarships should give scholars the opportunity to further innovative projects related to the research focus of the IAI, participate in an interdisciplinary dialogue with the researchers of the institute and with other guest researchers making use of the IAI’s vast library holdings and special collections. Guest researchers should present and discuss the results of their research in a colloquium and establish contact with colleagues in Germany. The selection process is based on a call which the Ibero-American Institute realizes once a year.
Call for Applications for 2019
For the 2019 competition, we only accept proposals which refer to the topic "Cultural and Knowledge Transfer: Pathways and Infrastructures". Projects may either refer to Latin America and the Caribbean or to transregional processes. The call addresses research projects dealing with the following aspects:
From a cultural and social anthropological perspective:
- Pre-Columbian relations between Meso / Central America and South America;
- Pathways and road networks for the movement or exchange of people and goods;
- The development of spaces through road systems (paths and landscapes);
- The organization of long-distance trading and long-distance trading routes;
- Archaeological evidence of political and economic spheres of influence;
From a historical and socio-scientific perspective:
- Communication structures and transport networks in the context of concrete transfer processes;
- Material infrastructures for cultural and knowledge transfers including their technical aspects;
- The mutual influence of transfer processes and infrastructures;
- Interrelations between types of infrastructures and types of knowledge transfer;
- Strategies by state and non-state actors to build and expand infrastructures of knowledge and cultural transfer;
From a literary and cultural studies perspective:
- Travel literature as real (horizon of experience) and imaginary (imagined, dreamed, utopian and dystopian) ways of transfer;
- The relationship of cultural processes to cultural systems and their localization in specific regions / nations / border areas;
- Literary regionalism;
- The role of publishers, translations and distribution processes in the context of transfer processes;
The call does not apply to research projects on:
- Technical aspects that are not linked to concrete transfer processes;
- Communication and transport networks not linked to their use and their function in the context of concrete transfer processes.
Terms and conditions
The minimum requirement for an application is a first university degree and the beginning of a doctorate at the time of application. The amount of the scholarhip is 1,000 € per month for applicants holding a university degree, 1,300 € for those with a PhD or equivalent qualification, and 600 € for people who do not need a full scholarship due to their other income, as well as up to 800 € for travel expenses.
Applicants are requested to submit all the documents via email to the following address: email@example.com
The application must include the following documents:
- A completed application form;
- A resumé;
- a publication list (if any publications exist);
- Copies of university transcripts and diplomas conferring academic degrees;
- A detailed description of the project according to the following framework: 1) Description of the subject as well as the main goal of the project; 2) Justification of the proposal with reference to the topic of the call; 3) Description of the state of the art, and the methodology of the research project; 4) Current status of the project; 5) Specific objectives of the stay at the IAI; 6) Bibliography. The description may not exceed 12 pages (12 point font size, 1.5 spacing).
- Two letters of recommendation from university teachers, if possible with reference to the submitted project (applies only to Ph.D. candidates). The letters of recommendation can be submitted with the other documents, but it is also possible that they are sent by the reviewers directly to the IAI.
Applications that do not meet these requirements cannot be considered.
Applications and documents can be submitted in German, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
The deadline for the presentation of proposals for 2019 is 31 August 2018.
Applicants will be notified by e-mail by mid-November.
Dr. Peter Birle
The following scientists have been granted a scholarship for 2018 (Information on the residence times of the scholarship holders in Berlin can be found in the Overview Guest Researchers 2018:
Becerra Rebolledo, Mauricio (Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona): Psicosis experimentales en América Latina 1940-1964
Biersack, Martin (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München): Spanische Wissenspolitik und ausländische Wissenschaftler im bourbonischen Spanisch-Amerika
Castilho de Lacerda, Felipe (Universidade de São Paulo): Edition und Revolution: Maspero, Trikont Verlag und die Verbreitungsstrategien der lateinamerikanischen Linken in Europa
Halaburda, Carlos Gustavo (Northwestern University, Evanston): Melodrama and Desecration: liturgy, medecine and capitalism in argentine dramaturgy 1880-1916
Krupecka Iwona (University of Gdańsk): ¿Filosofía y universalidad? Las propuestas metodológicas desde América Latina para la filosofía mundial
Lois, Carla (Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Conicet): Confusing News: The Circulation of Political Information about Latin American Independence Revolutions and the Production of Geographical Books and Atlases in Europe (1800-1860)
Matsumoto, Mallory Emiko (Brown University, Providence): Sharing Script: The Transmission of Writing and Development of Scribal Practice in Classic Maya Civilization
Plá Pérez, Sebastián (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México): El poder de los expertos. Configuración histórica de la investigación educativa en América Latina (1950-1990)
Romero, Rosalía (Duke University, Durham): Transborder Anarchism: Visual Culture in Greater Mexico, 1892-1934
Szoblik, Katarzyna (University of Bielsko-Biala: Métodos de construcción y transmisión de saberes del pasado y huellas de transferencias culturales en los manuscritos de "Cantares mexicanos" y "Romances de los Señores de la Nueva Esp."
Vindas Solano, Sofía (Universidad de Costa Rica, San Pedro): Configuraciones estéticas, redes de reconocimiento y contextos culturales de las colecciones de arte moderno de Guatemala y Costa Rica, 1975-2017"