The Ibero-American Institute (IAI) awards ten to twelve grants each year to support a one- to three-month research stay in Berlin. The grants are intended to give scholars the opportunity to use the IAI's vast library holdings and special collections for their research work, to collaborate with the institute's research staff and to establish contact with colleagues in Germany.
All submissions for 2015 must be focused on issues related to "Latin America in transregional and intra-american processes of cultural and knowledge transfer":
- Which academic discourses, theories, methods and techniques are transferred? How are they changed by cultural transfer and academic exchange? Which mutual epistemological influences can be detected?
- How do social actors (academics, intellectuals, artists, academic and cultural brokers) as well as academic, cultural and political institutions contribute to exchanges and transfers?
- How do cultural and technical objects travel from one place to another and how are they adopted and changed in the new environment?
The minimum requirement for a grant is a university degree at the time of applying. A monthly grant of €900 is paid to persons holding a university degree, €1,200 to persons with a Ph.D. or comparable qualification, and €500 to persons who continue to draw a salary during their research stay. Further, the IAI pays a travel allowance of up to €500.
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents via email as attachments to the IAI:
- A completed application form;
- A curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from university teachers describing academic qualifications (for graduate students and Ph.D. candidates)
- List of publications
- Copies of university transcripts and diplomas conferring academic degrees
- A detailed description of the project according to the following framework: 1) Description of the topic as well as the central questions of the investigation; 2) Methodical procedure; 3) Current status of the project; 4) Justification for the necessity of carrying out the research at the IAI; 5) Bibliography.
- The description may not exceed 12 pages (12 point font size, 1.5 spacing).
- Applications with project descriptions that do not meet these requirements unfortunately cannot be considered.
Applications and documents can be submitted in German, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
Application Deadline for 2015
Application deadline für 2015 was September 30, 2014
Candidates will be informed by e-mail till mid December.
Dr. Peter Birle