The Ibero-American Institute (IAI) awards ten to twelve grants each year to support a one- to three-month research stay in Berlin. The grants are intended to give scholars the opportunity to use the IAI's vast library holdings and special collections for their research work, to collaborate with the institute's research staff and to establish contact with colleagues in Germany.
All submissions for 2016 must be focused on the topic "Transregional Knowledge Production and Cultural Transfers in the Americas" and at least to one of the following questions:
- Which factors characterize the production and transfer of knowledge in the Americas over time?
- How is theoretical and empirical knowledge generated in the Latin American Humanities and Social Sciences?
- Which theoretical concepts are suitable for analyzing scientific and cultural transfers in the Americas?
- What kind of transregional processes of reception, exchange and appropriation of knowledge and cultural practices are carried out in the Americas?
- What is the role of cultural transfers through the mediation of objects, such as artifacts, art, books, periodicals, audio, and video?
The minimum requirement for a grant is a university degree at the time of applying. A monthly grant of €900 is paid to persons holding a university degree, €1,200 to persons with a Ph.D. or comparable qualification, and €500 to persons who continue to draw a salary during their research stay. Further, the IAI pays a travel allowance of up to €500.
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents via email as attachments to the IAI:
- A completed application form;
- A curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from university teachers describing academic qualifications (for graduate students and Ph.D. candidates)
- List of publications
- Copies of university transcripts and diplomas conferring academic degrees
- A detailed description of the project according to the following framework: 1) Description of the topic as well as the central questions of the investigation; 2) References between your own research project and the topic "Transregional Knowledge Production and Cultural Transfers in the Americas"; 3) Methodical procedure; 4) Current status of the project; 5) Justification for the necessity of carrying out the research at the IAI; 6) Bibliography.
- The description may not exceed 12 pages (12 point font size, 1.5 spacing).
- Applications with project descriptions that do not meet these requirements unfortunately cannot be considered.
Applications and documents can be submitted in German, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
Application Deadline for 2016
Application deadline für 2016 is September 30, 2015
Candidates will be informed by e-mail till mid December.
Dr. Peter Birle