The Ibero-American Institute (IAI) awards ten to twelve grants each year to support a one- to three-month research stay in Berlin. The grants should give scholars the opportunity to further innovative projects related to the research focus of the IAI, participate in an interdisciplinary dialogue with the researchers of the institute and with other guest researchers making use of the IAI’s vast library holdings and special collections. Guest researchers should present and discuss the results of their research in a colloquium and establish contact with colleagues in Germany. The selection process is based on a call which the Ibero-American Institute realizes once a year.
Topic of the call for proposals for 2017
For the 2017 competition, we only accept proposals which refer to the following topic: Migration, mobility and knowledge transfer in Latin America and the Caribbean
The processes of formation and reconfiguration of fields of knowledge and interaction connect local and national parameters as well as transregional and/or transnational transaction. The movements of individuals or more or less large groups generally include the displacement of objects as well as the transformation of forms and practice of the production of (scientific, technological, cultural) knowledge. They also change the behavior of the individuals and the social context to which they fit in. The objective of this competition is to contribute to research on the interrelations between migration processes and mobility, on the one hand, and the transfer of knowledge, on the other hand. The competition strengthens those projects within different disciplines which analyze these interrelations on a theoretical or empirical level.
We especially welcome proposals which refer explicitly to one of the following aspects:
- Theoretical concepts appropriate to analyze the relation between processes of mobility and transregional transfer of knowledge in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Case studies of situations, individuals, countries especially relevant for the analyses of the relation between the movements of individuals and forms of knowledge transfer;
- Participation of foreign intellectuals, artists, researchers, technicians, and political activists in transnational and transregional knowledge transfers;
- Political conditions of transfer realized by individuals’ mobility;
- Political strategies with respect to the relation between mobility and knowledge transfer;
- The role of inter-american migrants in knowledge transfer within the continent;
- Exile and transfer;
- Relations between the mobility of individuals and the displacement of objects of knowledge.
Terms and conditions as well as application procedure
The amount of the grant is 900 € per month for applicants holding a university degree, 1,200 € for those with a PhD or equivalent qualification, and 500 € for those with other revenues, as well as up to 500 € for travel expenses.
Applicants are requested to submit all the documents via email to the following address: email@example.com
The application must include the documents mentioned here:
- A completed application form;
- Copies of university transcripts and diplomas conferring academic degrees;
- A detailed description of the project according to the following framework: 1) Description of the subject as well as the main goal of the project; 2) Justification of the proposal with reference to the topic “; 3) Description of the state of the art, and the methodology of the research project; 4) Current status of the project; 5) Specific objectives of the stay at the IAI; 6) Bibliography. The description may not exceed 12 pages (12 point font size, 1.5 spacing).
- Two letters of recommendation from university teachers (applies only to graduate students and Ph.D. candidates).
- Applications that do not meet these requirements unfortunately cannot be considered.
Applications and documents can be submitted in German, English,
Portuguese and Spanish. The deadline for the presentation of grant proposals is 30 of September 2017.
Dr. Peter Birle
All submissions for 2016 had to be focused on the topic "Transregional Knowledge Production and Cultural Transfers in the Americas". 99 applications from 18 countries and numerous disciplines were submitted. The following scientists have been granted a scholarship for 2016 (Information on the residence times of the scholarship holders in Berlin can be found in the overview Guest Researchers 2016:
Ayala Reyes, Susana (Departamento de Investigaciones Educativas, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, México, D.F.): Los títeres como ámbito de construcción, socialización y transmisión de conocimientos socioculturales y lingüísticos: El caso del Teatro Petul en los Altos de Chiapas y sus secuelas
Bruno, Paula Graciela (Universidad de Buenos Aires, Conicet): Articuladores culturales, saberes y prácticas en las relaciones entre Argentina, América Latina y Estados Unidos, 1889-1910
Cáceres, Silvia (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro): Pensar a pós-ditadura: redes intelectuais e pensamento crítico no Cone Sul através das trajetórias e interconexões entre Revista de Crítica Cultural e Punto de Vista (1990 – 1999)
Cano, Daniel (Georgetown University, Washington): Transforming Schools for Progress. Mapuche and Guarani Mission-Schools in Chile and Bolivia, 1900-1950
Carrillo Espinosa, María (El Colegio de San Luis, San Luis Potosí, México): Exilio y transferencias culturales en la literatura latinoamericana del siglo XX
Chávez Díaz, Liliana (University of Cambridge): Based on True Stories: Representing the Self and the Other in Contemporary Latin American Documentary Narratives
Garay Albújar, Andrés (Universidad de Piura, Perú): Origen y transferencia de saberes entre el mundo andino y la investigación europea: la fotografía de Max T. Vargas como fuente de la complejidad geográfica y socio cultural del sur peruano y altiplano boliviano
Hernández Vidal, Nathalia (Loyola University of Chicago): Seeds, Indigenous Knowledge and (De) Colonization in Colombia
Lagos Rojas, Felipe Alejandro (Goldsmiths College, University of London): ”Marxismo Latinoamericano”: producción transcultural de una perspectiva crítica regional
Lanza, Pablo Hernán (Universidad de Buenos Aires): La construcción transnacional del cine argentino y mexicano. Intercambios culturales y relaciones identitarias en el período clásico-industrial
Pedruzzi, Tiago (Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre): Martín Fierro cruza a fronteira: estudo das traduções e adaptações ao português do poema nacional argentino
Vallejo, Mauro (Universidad de Buenos Aires, Conicet): Hipnotizadores trashumantes y la circulación regional de saberes y experiencias en América Latina (1890-1917)